This memorial weekend we went to Gull Lake Bible Conference (family camp) and we had a wonderful time. The guest speaker was Ray Vanderlaan and his ministry is 'That the World May Know' and he talked about what 'Kingdom of Heaven' means. The song I have playing is one of my favorite songs and when you hear Ray teach God's word (especially from the Old Testament) I think of this song...shout to the the Lord all the earth let us sing, power and majesty praise to our King, mountains bow down and the seas will roar at the sound of your name. I sing for joy at the works of your hands...
There is so much to say about what we learned but the one thing I did walk away with is that the way we treat others is how others see our God. Do you love your neighbor as yourself, do you turn the other cheek? Do we put others before ourselves, do we give the needy our best or second best? Are we obedient to God? Do you forgive as your Heavenly Father fogives you? God is sovereign ruler of all, do we accept him ruler in our lives?
Ray taught from the 'Torah' the first 5 books of the old Testament and then showed us where in the New Testament there were similarities, it was awesome. Ray gives tours in Israel, Turkey and now there is a trip in Egypt. I have been saving some money for Chris and I to take a trip to celebrate our 10 year wedding anniversary and Egypt was at the top of the list. I am thinking it would be awesome to go with Ray's ministry and visit Egypt to see what the Israelites went throught when they left Egypt and wandered in the desert for 40 years because of their disobedience, forgetfullness and unfaithfullness. The Word comes alive when you understand the culture. Ponder this thought, 'We need the faith OF Jesus, not just faith IN Jesus.'
The place for me to start is with my children and how I talk to them, treat them and live my faith infront of them.
Deut 6:4-8 ' Hear O'Israel; The Lord our God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.'
2 comments:
I was just saying to a friend today that I would love to take a trip to Egypt! Also Israel, etc. That sounds like a great weekend. Hope you're doing well - hope to talk to you soon.
Hey Celeste, saw your post on my blog and if you like the baby carrier you can just have it! A friend of mine designs and sews them herself and I really liked it and used it even after we came home. I know everyone seems to like all different kinds of carriers. I'll send you a pic of it. Hope you are all doing well. We'll have to schedule a playdate soon, I know Wesli and Melat would love to play with the girls :-)
Post a Comment