Two years today we drove to Dobrich from Varna with our translator in a yellow taxi. She picked us up after breakfast. I still remember thinking 'what have we gotten ourselves into?' I had butterflies in my stomach and was more nervous than the first time we met Calvin (5 months before hand). I turned to Chris in the cab and asked him if he was nervous, he said he wasn't. I then started praying and God brought certain verses to my mind about his faithfulness. Once we got to the orphanage, I was feeling calmer. We walked in and were directed first to the Director's office. She asked if we had any questions and mentioned Calvin had fallen and lost his tooth and that he had some scar tissue on his neck that could be surgically removed if need be. We asked for any photos they had of him as a baby but they said they couldn't give us any. I am still very sad that we don't have anything of Calvin as a baby.
Pick up day was very exhausting for all of us. Poor little guy didn't get to bed until about 10pm once we flew from Varna to Sophia that same day.
All of this to say, I remember this day as if it was yesterday. We are so blessed by this little guy. God has been so good to us. We are far from being perfect but Calvin is so resilient. We have another appointment in a couple of weeks in Ann Arbor to check his heart and to make sure he is doing well on his medications. You would never know he was a heart patient unless you saw his scars.
Calvin didn't really understand the celebration last year, but this year he sure did. He kept hugging and kissing us saying we brought him home and we are the best mom and dad. He was excited to eat chocolate cake and swim in our new pool we had installed today.
Our son has come so far in his development he is now completely dry at night, not wearing diapers anymore. He is so proud of himself. He isn't falling as much, and is learning to hop on one leg. He is being more adventurous in the water, now jumping in and putting his face in. I am hoping with our new pool he will improve in his swimming. Starting in the fall he will begin Young 5's program. He will be going to school all day. He will still be getting OT and PT at school. They are thinking he will only need 1 more year of services. This summer we have been working on his writing (fine motor skills). I notice improvement each time. Sorry for the long post, signing off with a photo from todays celebration.
2 comments:
Happy two years home, Calvin. You have come so far. Hugs from your fellow Dobrich girl and her family.
Beautiful children. Hope you update again soon. Found you on NGJM.. happy 2cd gotcha day.
God bless
erika
Post a Comment