Thursday, December 11, 2008

Recommended book for family members to read

I recently finished reading a great book that I recommend giving to family members that need to be educated about adoption as a whole. This book is written by a grandmother who has adopted grandchildren. It is titled "Adoption: A family Affair, What Relatives and Friends Must know". It covers topics such as: Your Personal, private fears,How Adoption Works: Facts vs Myth, Getting Ready, Home at Last, Parenting in Adoption, Adoption Issues, What to say and what not to say.

I am presently looking into Lifebooks and wondering where to start. On FRUA they have many recommendations and mention that a Lifebook is different to their Adoption Story (our blog). A lifebook should be a book only for them to see and should be about their life BEFORE they were adopted. Hmm. Well tomorrow our dossier should be in Bulgaria. Praying we will be registered this year. I believe in Europe they take a long vacation between Christmas and the New Year (kind of like South Africa).

Some good news, my friend Sarah will be travelling to meet her little girl in Russia the second week of January. They accepted the referral of a 3 year old girl. I am so happy for them. And Abigail is adjusting well, we will be visiting her and her family next week.

4 comments:

andersons said...

I am so excited your dossier is en route - and will be praying with you for its speedy arrival and your registration!

God is good :)

Sarah said...

I was hoping to find an update from you! Let me know how your Life Book goes. I have thought about doing one as well, just not really sure where to start... not to mention, I'm not the least bit into scrapbooking! I have an adoption babybook... but it's not quite a Life Book.

I am praying you are registered this year! Will they let you know as soon as it happens? What a great Christmas present that would be! Each day brings you closer to your precious son! We are praying for you and for him! God is so very good all of the time! Love you!

The Stevens said...

I totally agree with your post here!

Jason and Kim said...

We gave a copy of this book to our family members, and I agree that it's a wonderful book. I'm glad to see things are moving along for you!