Today Cathryn and I went to the Nutcracker and it was so fun. After school I took the girls to Panerra for a treat and a Chai tea for myself. I wanted to listen to my kids, ask them questions and not be busy but know them. We enjoyed sitting by the fire and cuddling on the couch. I am thankful for my girls, who love me even though I am impatient with them. I want to take the time to enjoy them and not to rush things anymore. They don't stay small for long. Caroline is 7 already, where did that time go?
Friday, December 10, 2010
Thankful for my Children
Yesterday I went to the library with my youngest to get some books for homeschooling. On the express bookcase I spotted MaryBeth Champman's book Choosing to See. I started reading it in the late afternoon and couldn't put it down until I went to bed. I highly recommend you read this book. As you most probably know Steven Curtis Champman is a Christian singer and he and his wife have adopted 3 little girls from China (at the probing of the eldest biological daughter Emily, and God). In 2008 one of their sons ran over their youngest daugther and she talks about how God prepared her, and her family for that horrific accident and how they are coping today. She is very open, honest, candid about her faith, her short comings, and her marriage. What I took away from this book is that I need to treasure each day with my children, as if it were their last. I also took away that God is working in each of us, completing a good work in us until we go home to Heaven to be with Him. Each incident in our life isn't an accident. We see the picture close up, blurry, but it isn't until we step back and look at the bigger picture then we can understand. I have often seen my life this way, during the difficult times it is hard to see what God is doing but once you are out of that pain, or situation and take a step back you can see the tapestry that God is making with your life. Like MaryBeth I like the idea that I am 'in control'. This adoption has shown me this, and I am working on letting things go that I can't control and turning to God in prayer. I also have to stop making this my idol, focusing on it all the time. I need to live my life with my children that I have at home. Not plan for the future but live for today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I haven't read this book, but am looking forward to it...I can't imagine her pain. I totally agree about not making adoption an idol...it's so EASY to do..to be consumed by it! Thanks for the reminders today;)!
I have been reading this book, too and I love it as well! It has made me laugh hysterically (the rafting episode and the hosing down the house after the fire, and then crying the great big sloppy cry where I'm blowing my nose and making strange sounds! Their family is amazing and they are such a testimony to the power of God working in and through us! It has made me want to hug my little guys just a little tighter and laugh just a little more each day, too.... time flies waaaaay to fast!
Post a Comment