Wednesday, February 8, 2012

MRI update

Before I get into the MRI results, I have to admit that I am contemplating closing my blog and turning it into a book for Calvin. He has now been home with us for almost 7 months and I feel like there really isn't much more to share with families in the process. We brought our son home and now we are moving on with life as a family of 5. He is adapting well and like I say at the end of each post, we are blessed beyond measure by him. Will let you know before I close this blog down, but it will be in the near future. I still enjoy reading other families blogs who have adopted before us and around the same time as us. Without further adieu....
Calvin and I drove to Ann Arbor, stayed in a hotel (in the hospital) because our MRI appointment was at 6:45 am. Needless to say, it was a horrible night sharing a bed with Calvin. He hates being under covers, he was crying on and off through the night (don't know why, he couldn't tell me), at one point he even fell out of the bed (trying to get out from under the sheet), and it was so hot in the room. We got no sleep. I think if there is a next time, I will stay home, get some good sleep and leave very early instead.
He wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything after 5:45am. We were up before that.... We got to our appointment at 6:15. My mother in law met me there and kept me company while he was in the MRI from 8:30 (we left him flying high as a kite)  until they paged us at 11am. The procedure took them from 9:20-10:30. He was in recovery until 11 (sleeping). They are so good at that hospital. I was able to go and eat breakfast in the cafeteria with a pager. If they needed me they would page me.  Calvin doesn't remember anything from the time I left him at 8:30 until the time I came back.
The good news is that the blood clots are gone (thank you  blood thinners). They want to keep him on them thought at least for another couple of months until our next appointment. The not so good news, is that they saw a sac of fluid next to his lung. So once he was awake they did an echo of his lung, compared it to the X-ray they did in November. Our doctor says it looks like it was there in November, the good news is he has no pneumonia, so it isn't affecting his breathing. However, we would like to know what it is. So in a couple of months he has to have a CAT scan done. They said it could be a sponge left from his last surgery (got to be kidding me) or just enclosed fluid from his last heart surgery. Please pray it isn't anything serious and that it will either disappear on its own or we can do something about it. Calvin's heart function has improved on the medications he has been on, so they wan't to continue the medications for another year and go from there. The downside of this is right now our insurance company isn't covering these medications anymore, we are appealing their decision. I thank my God for holding this little boy in his hand, for saving his life at birth and I know He has a special plan for his life. I will continue to pray for healing for him.

3 comments:

Kosel Family said...

Will miss your blog but totally understand! Praise be to God for the medication helping the blood clots and may He continue to bless your medical efforts with Calvin. Everything is in His hands and what happens is His will. God bless you and your family Celeste, you do a wonderful job!

Aaron and Jennifer Santor said...

If we are somewhere other than home, Andrew still occassionally cries off and on throughout the night. I think he just doesn't feel as safe.

So glad to hear the wonderful news of Calvin's heart looking good. Praising God for miracles!!! We will continue to pray for whatever it is next to his lung to disappear. God is good and He does answer prayer!!!!

Renae said...

Oh Celeste! Praying the fluid is a simple fix and all will be well! Hang in there!