Today he also had his fingers in his mouth most of the day, when he wasn't talking. Chris got him to go in the ergo carrier on his back, I am so thankful for that because my sciatic nerve in my left leg was hurting today from carrying him. He still wont' hold Chris' hand, but he will let him pick him up and carry him if I am standing close by. Thankful for the little progress we are making there.
We left this morning at 8:30 (all the shops were closed still) so we walked to see a mosque and indoor market by the statue of Sophia. The marked had food, clothes, toiletries, everything you could think of. We found some baklava so bought 2 pieces for me. I had one tonight with some tea and will have the other one tomorrow. After the market, we walked to the mineral baths (it is closed) and then we saw a place to get a drink. Happy Bar Grill. We sat outside and gave Calvin a snack (10 am by this time) and I had an ice coffee and Chris had a coke light. Calvin wanted my coffee of course when he was done with his water and snack, but I said no. So he screamed on top of his lungs. Chris about died and asked me to take him out to the sidewalk. I told Calvin he had to stop 'spri' and be quiet ' topli'. Chris then paid and we left (not very relaxing, but oh well we do have a 3 yr old with us). We then walked back to the area where our apartment is and took some different side streets, and we came across a clothing store called Celeste. Too funny. Once we got home at noon, we fed Calvin and put him down for a nap. Chris then went out and got me another gyro. He had eggs and sausage, which he made in our apartment. Calvin slept 2 hours and woke up still kind of sleepy. We then skpyed our girls and gave Calvin a snack of pureed fruit. He loves to eat and always asks for more when he is done.
At 3pm we were picked up by Petko and taken to the US Embassy with the Dornberger family and their daughter. It was great to finally see them. They are a bit far out from us and their little girl doesn't like to go out, it over stimulates her. The embassy appointment was Chris signing some paperwork and that was that. I asked Petko why they didn't ask us for out tax returns etc and he said that is usually requested for the I600, we are the I 800. We then returned home and walked back to the Happy Grill Bar (15 min one way from our place) to get dinner. I was tired of pizza. I ordered a hamburger and shared my french fries with Calvin. He loved them. Chris had chicken and salad and shared some of his chicken with Calvin. Once we got home it was 6:30 so we gave Calvin a bath and then he actually asked to go to bed!!!! WHAT.
I should have know that was too good to be true. He climbed into bed around 6:45 and then was playing around, grabbing the curtain, making noises etc. I actually fell asleep until 7:15 and he was still awake. I repeated go to sleep, good night. He would laugh etc. At 7:30 I then got up to leave and he started to scream, so I got a book and was going to sit on the floor. He was telling me to lie down in the bed. So I sat in the bed and read, finally at 8pm he fell asleep. I don't think he was ready to go to bed at 7pm, I think he likes me to just lie down with him. Now I know. We did have to put him in a time out today. He was screaming when I told him he no to having my hot tea, so Chris took him and placed him on the couch opposite of me and wouldn't let him get up until he stopped screaming. This wasn't longer than 5 min. No hair pulling today either.
Tomorrow we have no plans, our translator will pick up our stuff from the us embassy and bring it to us in the late afternoon. We will go and buy some more souvenirs, eat lunch in and eat dinner out. I forgot how hard it was to eat out with a little one. He wants to eat as soon as we sit down and doesn't understand we need to wait so gets upset. Then when he is done eating he wants our food and doesn't understand why he can't. Please pray for our journey home, we leave Saturday early, probably have to leave our apartment at 4am for our 6am flight. FUN!!
2 comments:
I think when the orphanage says they sleep from 8 at night until 8 in the morning they mean that is how long they leave them in their bed. No doubt they are not allowed to get up when they are ready to wake up... they would have kids all over at different times! The rocking is a comforting thing, he probably was just uncomfortable and since he has never known a mother to give comfort he does it himself. Our oldest, home 5 years now, still does this and it is worse when he is stressed. Most times it is before/after sleep in his bed.
Faith didn't care to eat out either. The poor little ones never even saw them cook their food, store their food and have no idea what a kitchen is. I call it the 'see it and eat it' diet. They see food and since they were trained to eat it only when they saw it this is what they think. Faith is the same at home... if food is out she has to eat it. If it is on her plate it has to be eaten. I'm sure the orphanage fed them their 'allotted' amount and they had to eat it regardless to whether they wanted it or not. And they were starving so they ate whatever when ever it came around. Linus was horrible with this when we got him. We couldn't even go to the garbage can in the kitchen or he would through a head banging tantrum. For probably 8 months I had to have breakfast ready before he got up or it was a tantrum. It will pass but it takes a lot of work and patience. We have trained some family members (when visiting for a dinner) to make sure their food is gone before the kids! I also have to pace my food so that it is gone before Faith is done or she wants it. And to remove left overs or additional food from the table. They won't understand for some time and so its just best to prevent the issue from being there. Harder when there is a potluck... I hate potlucks now with adopted children... food nightmare!!
How did your embassy visit go with the kids? Faith through a huge tantrum the whole time and I had everyone staring at me. I finally just walked her outside and she calmed right down.
It is good he wants you to lay next to him, he is giving you the ultimate window of opportunity for attachment! Hang on to it, no matter how stressful it may be... it's better than trying to fix it up later.
Hopefully I didn't provide too much unsolicited advice! We have one good attachment and one that hasn't been good. Just praying that yours goes well and hopefully something will help. Hugs and Prayers <3
Yup, we had that 6 a.m. flight as well. We had to leave our apartment around 4 a.m. It definitely made for a long day. The first flight was no problem, but the second flight (8 hours) was a bit harder. Andrew was a screamer. You don't want to tell everyone he's adopted and my other children would never act this way, but at the same time you wish you could. Praying it will go smoother for you all.
Post a Comment